Love Actually

February! It's the month of love. Spring flowers began to peek up through the ground. Diamond dynasties and card companies create in our heads visions of ginormous rocks on a band, heart-shaped chocolates, and sappy but heart-felt sentiments from our loved ones. Our expectations of a over-the-top romantic Valentine's Day increase with each passing day.

As a teenager, Valentine's Day was the best day all year. Boys could buy their sweethearts a single rose and have it secretly delivered during the middle of Algebra II or Chemistry. All the girls would gush excitedly while secretly hoping their own beau would have their flower delivered during the next period. Please, oh please!

As I've gotten older, I tell my husband not to spend money on flowers and candy. I don't even need a card. Just let me sleep late. For a week. Serve our kids breakfast so I can linger in the shower. Alone and without an audience. Acts of service make my heart melt. If he does the dishes on a whim, my knees turn to jelly and I hear imaginary love birds chirping in my ear.

This February, a sweet friend challenged her Facebook friends to 14 Days of Valentines. It's a two week commitment to pray specifically for your husband. It's an encouragement to leave him small notes or gifts on a daily basis to completely fill up his love tank. I am completely charged by the challenge. In fact, since Weekend to Remember last year I have been praying very specifically for my husband. Below, are a few ways I am praying for him.
  • He acknowledges Jesus as the leader of his life by following and obeying Him, and relying on the Holy Spirit all day, every day (1Cor 16:13-14).
  • He take responsibility as the leader of his family, courageously leading me and our children (Eph 5:23).
  • He be a man of prayer, continuously in communication with the Lord so that he'll live and walk by His Spirit (1 Thess 5:17, Gal 5:25).
  • He have friendships with godly men that would "stir up one another to love and good works" (Hebrews 10:24).
  • He be shielded by God in mind, heart, and body, and be guarded from the evil one (Psalm 28:7, 2 Thess 3:3).
Sometimes, it's really hard to pray for my husband rather than about him (read here - complain about him). So, I become selfish and find one or two things to thank the Lord for regarding the man He gave me and call it "Done". Oh but don't worry. Those are the days the Holy Spirit wakes me at 3:00 a.m. with a conviction to pray for him.

And pray, I do. And will continue to do. And I even ask the Lord to prompt my sweet hubby to do a few more dishes and a little more laundry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Glimpse of Guilt and Grace

A Man Leaves

No More "I" Word