BFF . . . For Real

Frisco Bible has an amazing couple leading the youth, Kris and Amy Keith.  Amy invited me to be a part of a get together for teen girls from my church called "Junk Food and Jesus".  It was an opportunity for junior high and high school girls to indulge in some yummy food while listening in on how God is working or has worked in "older" womens' lives. 

So here's the first thing . . . I'm now considered an "older" woman.  Sigh.  Weep.  Tears.  I never thought it would happen to me.  Alas.

And the second thing?  I am totally enjoying being around these godly young women!  What an encouragement for me as a mother of five children to see our Lord evident in their lives.  Parenting along with the Holy Spirit works!

The topic, shared by Heather, was about friendships - the Best Friend Forever kind.  She talked about her struggles early on in life in making and keeping a BFF.  Her difficulty in friendship continued throughout high school, college, and early adulthood. Friendship after friendship ended much to her disappointment and sadness.  She went on to talk about how she came to understand the one True Friend, Jesus, never left her, disappointed her, or rejected her.  He is her BFF. 

Like Heather, I have suffered some disappointments in friendships.  Most of those disappointments were due to my own inflated expectations of others through no fault of their own.  Quality time with friends is one of my favorite things.  There is nothing better than being silly and talking deep and serious with a like-minded friend.  My end of the friendship seemed needier than the other half and would end in my overly-sensitive hurt feelings.

I've also made the mistake of jumping into a friendship with both feet and eyes closed.  So wrapped up in the excitement of a new "bestie" that I missed the warning signs of "Unhealthy Road Ahead".  I allowed my self-worth, joy, and near existence to be placed on the shoulders of someone who didn't want or need the extra weight of me.  Can you see where this is heading?  To follow the road analogy, I crashed head first into a barricade of disappointment and reality.

You see, God would not have me place my all-n-all in anyone or anything other than Him.  And that is exactly what I had done.  He used my choice of friend before Father as an opportunity to gently correct me.  The blinders were removed from my eyes and He allowed me to see my friend as human.  As fallible.  Undeserving of my devotion and worship.  It was not  an exercise in criticism toward her.  It was a command to place my worship at the feet of His throne, to offer only Him the praise of my lips, to seek to please only Him in word, thought, and deed.

My Sweet Lord has been patient and loving over my grieving of the end of the friendship.  He has proven o'er and o'er that He is my eternal Best Friend.  Hebrews 13:5b says " . . . for He has said, 'I will never leave you and I will never abandon you''.  Relationships are given and taken away for many reasons.  No matter how many earthly BFFs God has blessed me with, I can be certain of a relationship with Him.  Even if my best friend contact list is as dry as the Sahara, I am assured of His desire for an eternal kinship with me.  Why else would He give His Son as a sacrifice for my sins so that I may live in His palace where time does not end?

Thank you Lord, for your friendship.


P.S. - More to come on friendships, relational growth, and His gift of friends.  I  must be a slow learner for His lessons are never ending!

Be blessed,
Niki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More "I" Word

A Man Leaves

Rusty Gold