Broken and New


My favorite platter crashes to the ground and smashes into a zillion tiny pieces. My daughter's attempt at a "fancy" tea party has come to a sad end. Her face crumpled into the same zillion pieces and she begins to sob.

I'm so sorry, mom. It was an accident. I didn't mean it. I just wanted to decorate the tea party fancy!.

I swallow my disappointment and begin to pick up the pieces. Sweep up my frustrations into a little heap. I can't bear to dump those slivers of colored pottery in the garbage. I vow to use them in some kind of Pinterest-inspired craft project.

While putting order to the mess, God brought to mind how my sins are like those tiny pieces scattered all over. Some of the larger broken bits could be my inflated pride, independence, and inability to wait patiently on the Giver of All Good Things. The smaller pieces are likened to petty gossip, physical laziness, and over sensitivity. And don't let me forget, gluttony.

The Lord labeled each of those broken shards. Eek! Who wants to see that kind of "trash" on the kitchen floor for my whole family to see?!  I quickly picked them up and put them out of sight.  Just like my sins.  Out of sight from those who see me.  Out of sight from those who love me.  Out of sight from those who expect more.

But not out of sight of the One who sees and knows all.  For whether I pack my ugliness away in a box to address later or throw them out in denial, He waits for my confession.  He waits.

Thankful that He waits!

I searched for a project for the pieces of pottery and decided to use them for a mosaic.  A NEW piece of art.  Something TRANSFORMED.  NEW.  DIFFERENT from the old.  NEW.

Get where I'm going with this?

Just as I am able to create something new out of my daughter's tragic butterfingers, the Lord desires to create something new and transformed out of me.  He'll take my ugly pile of brokenness and transform it into a new, beautiful vessel for Him to fill.  To complete.  To shine through.

My pinterest board for tile mosaic projects is still empty.  But the "project" the Lord is working on through me is in progress.  And as I learn to allow Him to sweep up the mess of my sins, I give Him the opportunity to create a new beauty in me.

Thankful for the meaning of the mess I've made.  Thankful for His desire to sweep it up.  Thankful for His transforming power.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More "I" Word

A Glimpse of Guilt and Grace

A Man Leaves