Confessions in Room 106

The Lord sent me to Central America to evangelize.  Except that is not all He sent me to do.  He also sent me to be listening ears to those who needed a sounding board.  And what an amazing opportunity he handed me on a silver platter.

I had the honor of sharing a hotel room with a BFF for an entire week.  We were able to solve the world's problems until 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning.  I was able to pour out all I had seen, heard, and done throughout the day and so did she.  We were able to unload all the emotions and just "externally process" all God was showing us.

"Tippity-tap.  Tippity-tap."

Three ladies from our mission team were at the door of Room 106.  It seems they too, wanted to work through their experiences of the day.  We laughed and chatted with "randomocity".  Until . . .

"Uh, I have a confession to make." 

Uh oh.  The air instantly changed from frivolous bonding to electrified intensity.  Whatever was about to be spoken aloud was going to be BIG.  And I mean, mucho grande.  One of us was driven, compelled by the Holy Spirit to unload a burden of guilt and shame.  Each of us listened with tears streaming down our cheeks, heartbroken for the other.  We each could identify with the other suffering, broken compadre in our own way.

Judgement, you ask?  Not even a drop.  A slave to shame was embraced with a graciousness and mercy that only the love of the Lord could have provided and guided. Prayers for healing and mercy were murmured all around, each in our own distinct Holy Spirit - inspired way.

You see, I am learning that there is healing in confession.  Confessing ugliness aloud is a difficult process.  Satan uses our shame and guilt to silence us so we tape our mouths shut, with duct tapeWhat if Satan is right?  What if I bare my soul and confess my sinfulness aloud and am met with a cold-faced silence?  What if I am judged and am attached a label according to my sin?  What if I lose a friend? 

What if?

The Bible tells us to confess our sins one to another.  Share the burden of another's grief.  Embrace the other in suffering. Bolster each other up in the love of the One that loved us first.  To offer wise counsel.  To comfort another with the Comfort we have already been given.

What if instead of judgement and exclusion, I am embraced for putting aside pride and fear?  What if I am able to begin healing?  What if I am blessed by another's prayers for my suffering?  What if I bless someone else with my naked honesty?  What if?

Guess what?  Confession can be a beautiful thing.


Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.  James 5:16

Popular posts from this blog

A Glimpse of Guilt and Grace

A Man Leaves

No More "I" Word